An early scoring opportunity for the home team proved to be the difference Sunday at Johann Memorial Field as the NM State women’s soccer team (4-3) dropped a 1-0 decision to UNLV (6-2) in non-conference action.
6’ | A penalty kick provided the game’s lone goal. UNLV’s Taylie Liddell was fouled by the Aggies and was on the receiving end of a penalty kick try. Liddell’s shot sailed past NM State net minder Makenna Gottschalk, giving the Rebels the goal they needed to win the day.
KEY PERFORMERS/STATISTICS OF NOTE
- The loss was the second straight for NM State, marking the first time this season in which the Aggies have dropped back-to-back contests.
- NM State had its fair share of chance in the non-conference bout as the Aggies outshot UNLV by an 8-4 margin.
- Shea O’Connor, Kaitlynn Melton and Gia Valenti each fired shots on frame for NM State.
- Liddell’s penalty kick try served as the Rebels’ lone shot on goal in the bout. Gottschalk finished with no saves through 90 minutes of action.
- For the Rebels, Taylor Book stopped all three scoring chances she faced.
- NM State falls to 0-2 all-time against UNLV with the setback.
- Against Mountain West foes in the 2021 campaign, NM State saw its record slip to 1-1.
COMING UP NEXT
- Finally, after a span of nearly one month, the Aggies return to Las Cruces for a non-conference showdown with their biggest rival. Thursday night at 7:00 p.m., NM State hosts in-state adversary New Mexico for a non-league clash at the NM State Soccer Athletics Complex.